Notes on Dewi Cynon's Meanings of Farm Names

MEANINGS OF FARM NAMES
Dewi Cynon’s translated words are preceded by DC, Deric Meidrum’s notes by DM.
It must be remebered that advances have been made in place-name etymology in the hundred years or so since DC wrote this book. Today’s toponymist looks for early forms before attempting an etymology. Many of these early forms are available in online documents and manuscripts. This technology and resource was obviously unavailable to DC.

DC Trebanog. – Tre, tref – a home, dwelling. Ban – banog , prominent, conspicuous.

DM Trebanog. TRE, TREF – farmstead, dwelling, residence, homestead, estate;
& PANOG – pan ‘cotton grass’ plus adjectival suffix ‘-og’;
As tref is a fem. noun, BAN, banog would have mutated to Trefanog which is not evidenced.
The name is TREBANOG, therefore the second element is PANOG mutated to TREBANOG.
Meaning – ‘cotton grass farmstead’. Cf. Trebanos, Cwm Tawe.

DC Taicwpla – Two farmhouses (tai) linked together gave this place its name - a couple, pair, two, &c.

DM. Cwpl, cyplau is used in Glam. for a rectangular or square space between four poles in a hay barn. See GPC. It is poss. that these two houses had been coverted from such buildings on Trebanog Ucha.

DC Cae’rllwyn – earlier, this cottage had only one field (cae), which contained a bush (llwyn), therefore the meaning is clear.
Once part of Trebanog Ucha and prob. a field-name.

DC Tynton - a house (ty) on lay land (ton).
DM. The earlier Tŷ yn y Ton 1775 supports this meaning.

DC Tyle’r Morgrug – ants’ hill.
DM. Either for the presence of such features or figuratively for a small hill.
This tenement was earlier part of Cilfach Rhydfaen.

DC Cilhepste – “Cil” infers a remote place beneath a rock or mountain – a place of retreat, a corner or flight. The meaning is endorsed by the location of the ruinous building. Hepste – hesp – taf, is the name of the river that washes the lower reaches of the farmstead.

DM. ‘Hepste nook/retreat’.
Hepste contains Welsh hesb and teu/te (alternative forms of tam and taf). Hesb is the fem. form of hysb that has become hesp through metathesis plus the hardening of the b consonant to a p.
The local dialect pronunciation is hepsta as seen in Pont Hepsta (LYH p20).
Hesb means ‘dry’ and refers to a river or stream whose riverbed is dry in places.
The limestone part of the riverbed is porous resulting in water seeping through and emptying the riverbed. The rivers and streams named Sychnant, Beusych, Hesb, Hespin, Hafesb and Hepste all belong to that family of rivers whose beds are dry in parts at certain times.
The second element teu/te is present in the sister rivers Hepste and Mellte. The root (tam, taf) is found in rivers in Britain and the continent eg. Tame, Teme, Thame. Thames, Taf, Tawe, Tamaris etc. The meaning is uncertain. Some toponymists have suggested ‘dark’ while others favour’flowing’ or ‘river’. Hepste therefore could mean ‘dry, dark (river) or simply ‘dry river’.
Hesb, hysb (dry etc. see GPC.); te (taf ‘river’); ‘dry river’.

DC Torfoel – “Tor” implies an outward swelling – a swell out; “foel” has a meaning of bare or poor. The state of the farmstead’s surrounds explains the meaning. The farmhouse lies on the slopes of Mynydd y Foel.
DM. Tor can mean a swelling or a belly but it can also mean a break or cut. Here moel means a bare, treeless hill.

DC Pwll Huan – Pwll - pool ; Huan – sun (Sunny Pool).

DM. This is incorrect. The earlier forms show Pwll y dylluan (Tyr Pwll y ddullyan 1727) – ‘the owl’s pool’. Ryde Poll y Ddyllyan 1468 ‘ford (of) the owl’s pool’, suggests that the pool is on the adjacent river Hepste.

DC Caer Hywel – On the edge of the Hepste River, below the farmhouse are the remains of a tower or fort; but old age has since thrown a green mantle over it. One is unable to view the wall today without cutting through the turf. It is thought that it was built by an old owner named Hywel, in times of Wales’s riotous past.

DM. The earlier form Kay Howel 1526 Tredegar (8) clearly shows Cae Hywel.
Cae, Hywel; ‘Hywel’s field’.

DC Heol-Las – The old name for the farmstead was “Tircoedplantmeibionrhys.” The farmstead’s occupier in 1820 was one Rhys Price, who had a lease on it for three lives, at very reasonable terms, on condition that he and his children planted trees on the land annually. ”Yr Heol” is a later name for it; and it is the present occupier who added the “glas” to the name.

DM. The referrence to Rhys Price in 1820 is too late for that Rhys to be the one named in
Tircoedplantmeibionrhys ‘Land of the trees of Rhys’s son’s children’.
Tyr Coad Mybon Rees occurs in the Will of Evan Morgan dated 1667. Whoever that Rhys was, he was alive before 1667.

DC Ynysywerndraeth – There is some consistency here between the land’s superficial condition so as to justify this meaning: “Gwern” – wet land, fertile, supportive of alder trees; “Traeth” that implies here an open land that is clear, and so it is. It is possible that this name is a corruption of Ynys-y-wen Arth. There’s a farmstead in Ystradfellte called Blaen Tring Arth. It is possible to note many place-names in Wales that have received their names due to animal connections, such as Gwern Bleidda (wolves), and Llwyn Moch (pigs), &c.

DM. This is fanciful and misleading.
In 1841, the name was recorded as Yniswen-Porth in the Census and as Yniswenddor in the Penderyn Tithe Schedules. Obviously there is discrepancy and inconsistency with the spelling and meaning.
In the Penderyn Parish Registers of 1767 we find Ynyswendorth and the Melville Richards Archives in Bangor hold a similar 1570 form of Ynis bendorth. These two forms, spanning nearly 200 years, are key to the etymology of the farm-name.
The first element ynys is consistent and refers to a ‘river meadow’, as in Ynyscynon, Ynyslwyd, Ynysboeth, Ynys-hir etc. The actual river-meadow is on the banks of the Cadlan stream. The last element is torth, Welsh for ‘a loaf’, as shown between 1570 and 1767, cf. Mesur-y-dorth, Pembs. and Sugar Loaf Gwent and Sugarloaf Mountain, Cork. The second element describes the loaf as wen ‘white’ 1767, but has ben, mutated from pen ‘top, end, hill, head, height’ in 1570.
The earliest form of Ynysbendorth would give a meaning of ‘river-meadow near the loaf shaped hill’ and this fits in nicely with the farm’s location and topography.
Lit.meaning :- Loaf hill river meadow. In 1625, Ynyswendorth was known as Tyr Kelly Davelosse Ysha

DC Gelli Diafolws (The Devil’s Hazel Grove). – Some maintain that the name is Gellidafolog; but it is unlikely that local people would corrupt a name that they understood the meaning to one that they did not, beacause they always pronounced the name as “Gellidyfolws”.
Gelli Neuadd (The Hazel Grove of the Hall – Court). In the old days, criminals were tried in such places, as today’s facilities were unavailable.

DM. The explanation is flawed.
Gellydafolog. 1861 & 71.Cens.
Gelli Davolas. 1830. OS.
Gelli Dyfolas. 1777. PR.
Welsh 'celli' + 'tafolog'/‘tafolas’.
celli = 'grove, copse of trees, bushes; woodland, wooded glade'.
tafolog = 'of dock plants'. 'tafol' + adjectival suffix '-og'.
tafolws = 'dock plants'. 'tafol' + old collective suffix '-os'.
Y Gelli Dafolog ‘the dock (plant) grove’. In 1625 Gelli Dafolog/Dafolos was known as Tyr Kelly Davelosse Ycha

DC Glynperfedd. – Glyn y Porfeydd. (Valley of pastures).

DM. He has chnged perfedd to porfeydd.
Glyn & perfedd ‘middle (of the) valley’, ie. the Cadlan valley. Cf. Cwmwd Perfedd, Cards.

DC Gelliffynnonnau (The Hazel Grove of the Wells). – The farmstead has many sources (of streams etc.).
DM. Grove of springs/wells.

DC Coed Cae Du.- Coedcae is a name commonly given to a piece of grazing land of poor quality; “du” (black) denotes the quality of its environment.
DM. Coetgae is ‘land enclosed with a hedge, fence or wall; a field’.

DC Nant Maden. – Maden, Cadnoes, Vixen – the vixen’s stream.
DM. The farmstead took its name from the stream.

DC Beili Helyg. – Beili – a farmyard, or court in front of house. Earlier, many willow trees grew near the house.
DM. Beilihelyg – ‘wllow trees courtyard’.

DC Esgairgadlan – “Esgair” – a long ridge; a spur of land jutting out.* “Cadlan” was a soldier of old.

DM. Cadlan is the stream name. Esgairgadlan is ‘Cadlan ridge’.

DC Cae’rarlwydd.- The lord of the land’s field, or the owner’s field.

DM. Cae’r arlwydd – ‘the lord’s field’. It was known earlier as Tir y Gorwydd ‘land (of the) wooded slope’.

DC Wernlas. – Damp land with its fertility producing greenery – The Green Alder Grove.

DC Garw Dyle – a rough slope.

DM. Known earlier as Tir Fadog Ddu ‘Black Madog’s land’.

DC Llwyn Onn – Ash Grove.

DC Bodwigiad – “Bod” – dwelling place, mansion; “gwig” – “A little retreat or open in the woods, being such a situate as the Britons who lived by hunting, and tending their flocks, generally built their hamlets.” The location of the house confirms the meaning. “Gwigyn” – “A place in the woods”. Other meanings can be put forward, but we prefer this (meaning).

DM. Bodiced 1923 LYH p9;
Plas Bodwigiad 1923 LYH p55
Bodwigiad 1841 Census UP; 1652 Will of Mary Games; 1646 Will of Richard Games;
Bodwiggiad 1797 Will of Morgan Watkins NLW
Bodwiggiate 1705, 1744/45 Britton Ferry Estate NLW
Bodwicced 1748 WP PNDH; Bodiwiggiad 1646 Will of Richard Games;
Bodiwigiad 1646 Sentence of Richard Games.

The earliest document containing the Bodwigiad name is the 1646 will of Richard Games, husband of Mary Games nee Prichard. Ann Selwood informs us in her NLWJ article ‘The Games Family of Bodwigiad, Penderyn, Breconshire’, that in 1622 Mary Prichard was to become Richard Games’s second wife and that she was the grand-daughter and heiress of John Gwyn, Bodwigiad. John Gwyn is recorded as John Gwyn of Bodwigiad c1570 in Bleddyn ap Maenarch 20(C8), Welsh Geneologies A.D. 1500-1600. However Tyr Pen y Kaie y John Gwyn is recorded in 1625. This could be an earlier or an alternative name for Bodwigiad.
In the middle of the 17th ccent. the property became part of the Mansel family’s Briton Ferry Estate through the marriage of Elizabeth Games, daughter of Edward Games, to Thomas, son of Bussy Mansel. At the end of the 18th cent. the Briton Ferry Estate was purchased by Lord Jersey. Following his death, the Rev. Reynallt Davies bought the Bodwigiad Estate in 1815. The Morgans family of the Van were the owners in the middle of the nineteenth century, and by the end of that century Captain E. M. Whitting held the property.
Note the local dialect pronunciation Bodiced in LYH, written in 1923 by local author Lewis Davies.
Many attempts have been made over the years to explain the meaning including a clumsy Bodwaun-y-gâd ‘mansion of the battlefield’ and a fanciful ‘mansion of the wigs’. The latest, and perhaps a more feasable etymology is that of the late Tomos Roberts, who suggested ‘bod’ and ‘ewigiaid’ contracted to Bodwigiad. This would give a meaning of the dwelling place of hinds or female deer.
Cf. Llanmerewig, Mont.
Difficult name. Poss. bod, ewigiaid; ‘dwelling (of ) hinds, female deer’.

DC Ysguborfawr – “Ysgubor” (barn) – a place to store corn. The name suggests that it belongs to a farmstead with outstanding arable land. It is a common name in the countryside.

DM. ‘Large barn’. Known earlier as Tyr y Kaie Dy (Tir y cae du) ‘land of the black field’.

DC Penyreithin – The old name for the place was “Ty ar yr heol”, (house on the road) as it was on the side of the road. Penyreithin is a later name, emanating from the Coedcae Garw (rough enclosure) that lies below the house, which is called “Yr Eithin” because of the abundance of furze that grows there.
DM. ‘top end of the gorse’. There was also a Godre’r eithin ‘bottom of the gorse’ on the 1861 Census.
DC Pantycynferth – “Pant” – a hollow; “cyn” – original; “ferth” – beauty. A hollow of original beauty. Asaph Glyn Ebbwy uses the word “cynferth” in his elegy to Lleurwg, where he states:- “Heddiw mae yn byw mewn byd O gynferth a phob gwynfyd” (today he lives in a world of beauty and every bliss). Seren Cymru, 3 Aug. 1900.

DM. Pantcefnffordd 2014 Streetmap
Pantcynfurth 1914 Kelly
Pant-cefn-y-ffordd 1905 OS6”
Pantycynferth 1905 HPP Dewi Cynon
Pantycynfarth 1871 Census
Pantcefnyffordd 1851; 1861 Census
Pant y Cyn-farth 1857 Will Catherine Rees
Pant y cunfarth 1856 Will Rees Rees
Pant cunfarth ibid
Pen y cynvarth 1854 Will Howell Rees
Bant y Cunfarth 1841 Census D20
Pant Cyfnerth Ffarm 1796 Will of Mary Powell (Penycae) NLW
Pant y Cyfnerth 1785 Will of John Powell NLW
Pant y Cyfnorth 1778 PR
Pant Cofnerth 1705 Jersey
Tyr Pant kyffnerth 1609 RISW GGF 1/84
Tire pwll Cyfnerth 1553 RISW/GGF1/99
Poill Kyvynerth 1526 Tredegar (8)

Today’s Pantcefnyddordd is a relatively recent name. The earlier name was Pantycynferth from an earlier Pantycyfnerth with metathesis between “n” and “f” ie. cynferth < cyfnerth cf. Dynfant, Llynfi from Dyfnant, Llyfni.
The elements are - pant (a dell) & cyfnerth ( assisting, supportive); Cyfnerth is also an old pers. name so that Pant Cyfnerth could be either “Cyfnerth’s dell” or “assisting, supporting dell”.
Poill Kyvynerth (Pwll Cynferth) 1526 is ‘Cynferth’s pool’ or ‘supporting, assisting pool’.

DC Nant y Deri – the Nant (stream) flows past the house, and on its banks grow many oaks (deri), and the name comes from them.

DM. ‘The oak trees stream’.

DC Pen y Cae – obvious (pen y cae = top/end of the field).

DC Bwllfa – Pant (a dale) – (low-land) and so it is.

DM. Pwllfa, y bwllfa, is a hollow or basin often at the source of a river or stream. This former farmstead prob. takes its name from the Nant y Bwllfa stream.

DC Y Gelli – “The Hazel Grove”.

DM. This is prob. Gelli Benuchel;
Y Gelli 2017 Cloch. GM.(William Gwyn Davies);
Gelli-ben-uchel 1991 OS Pathfinder
Gelli 1891 Census (Morgan Parry, Farm Bailiff, Devynock, Both);
Gelly 1871 Census (Enoch Enoch, Hostler, Llanllwni);
1851 Census (Ann Williamson, Farm Bailiff, Scotland)
1841 Census D20 (John Rees, Collier);
1807 Will Thomas Rees NLW;
Gelli Benuchel 1849 Will Morgan Rees NLW
Gelly Ben Uchel 1841 Census D20
Gelly Penychell 1807 Will Thomas Rees NLW
Tyr u Gelly pen uchell 1742 Will Thomas Watkin (Llewelin Meredith);
Celli Benychell 1700 Will Meredith Llewelin;
The 1742 form of Tyr u Gelly pen uchell (tir y gelli pen uchel) shows the presence of the definite article. Celli changed to gelli due to this definite article – celli, y gelli.
Here penuchel ‘proud’ is used as a descriptive factor as Gelli Benuchel is located on a small hillock and as a distinguishing factor from neighbouring Gelli-fach.
Gelli Benuchel is often abbreviated to Y Gelli.
There is also a Gelli Benuchel on Hirfynydd near Creunant, Cwm Nedd.
Tir, y, celli. penuchel; ‘land of the proud (conspicuous) grove’.
.
DC Lletty Rhys – It is believed that the place got its name from Rhys ab Tewdwr, prince of Deheubarth, as he and his men camped on this spot on the eve of the battle of Hirwaun Wrgant, 1088.

DM. Llety Rhys is a relatively modern farm. In 1840 (TM & S) it is named as Field no. 303 on Trebanog Fawr, with a small cot. occupied by Edward Thomas. It is also recorded in 1853 (Payne, PR Births). It expanded with the decline of neighbouring Bwllfa. On the 1884 OS Llety Rhys appears as a farmstead with house and otbuidings whie Bwllfa is in ruins. The link with the medieval Rhys ap Tewdwr is fanciful.

DC Tir Gwyn Bach – The name relates, possibly, to a previous owner named Gwyn. Or perhaps to the superficial state of the land. In the parish of Aberdare, there is a farmstead called “Tir Ifan Bach Draws”.
DM. Gwyn Bach’s land or small white land. Prob. the former.

DC Maesyrhydiau – “Rhydiau” here mean little streams. “Clais” and “rhyd” are Welsh names for gutters or small streams. “Clais y clawdd” is the name of the gutter that carries water in “Bon y Clawdd”.
DM.
Tyr Maes yr Hidie 1625; ‘land of the field of the fords’. The field would have been on the banks of the Cynon river, close to the location of today’s Glancynon public house, with the fords prob. providing crossings for the River Cynon.

DC Cendon – Layland Sward, &c.
DM.
Tyr y Keven Done 1625; ‘land of the layland ridge’. Cefn is a ‘mountain ridge’ while ton is ‘layland’.
Cefn often loses its ‘f’ as in Cendon (cefndon), Cyncoed (cefncoed), cenffordd (cefnffordd), cender (cefnder) etc.

DC Berthlwyd – The sacred hedge, Mari Lwyd (sacred Mary) Mair Sanctaidd (sacred Mary).

DM. Perth & llwyd is prob. ‘grey hedge’.

DC y Cwrt – “Y Llys” (the court); or perhaps a court in front of the house.

DM. Nansi Selwood in a map titled Penderyn before 1750 has Cwrt y Llaca (Methygen). Meddygen (meddygyn – a violet plant known as ‘self heal’) became Cwrt y llacca, and later Court Farm.
Cwrt, y, llacca; ‘the mud farm yard’; Court is a ‘courtyard/farmyard’.

DC Llwyn Moch – “Llwyn” in its broadest sense is “Gallt” (a wooded slope). Many wild pigs roamed these woods years ago.
DM.
Tyr Llwyn y Moach 1625. Llwyn moch ‘pigs’ bush’ was changes to Llwyn coch ‘red bush’ in the 1950s.

DC y Naint – Plural of Nant (stream). An old Welsh style: Nant – Naint; Maen – Main. Nanthir, Nantmoel, Nantmelin and Blaen Nanthir have the same meaning. (I suspect he is referring to the “nant” element).
DM.
The streams are Nant Hir, Nant Moel and Nant Melyn.

DC Cwmsmintan – It is possibly “Ynys Minton”. “Mintwn” and “Minton” are names used in Wales. Perhaps it comes from an old owner of that name who previously lived here.
DM.
Cwm ynys mintan is prob. ‘valley of Minton’s river meadow’.

DC Gelli Tarw – Special breeds of bulls, cattle and oxen were raised in these parts years ago. The farmstead may have acquired its name from a specific bull that was reared here.
DM.
Gelly Tarw 1515. ‘Bull’s grove’.

DC Y Dderihir – We mentioned at the beginning that years ago, these parts were rich in oak trees. It is possible that their height was exceptional close to this farmstead.
DM.
Dderi-hir 1991 OS Pathfinder
Thery Hir 1841 Census D20
Dderi Hir 1808 Will Thomas Watkin NLW
Tyr-y-Derihir 1744/5 BFE
Tir y Deri Hir 1705 BFE

Located east of Cross Bychan oppsosite Hendre Bailey.
The mutations on the 1991, 1841 and 1808 forms are not necessary.
Tir, y, deri, hir; ‘land (of) the long oaks'

DC Y Ffrwd - “Ffrwd”, ffrw – “A strong effort or impulse – stream, torrent.” “The torrents of the Taf.” – Dafydd ap Gwilym.
DM. Ffrwd, ‘a stream’.

DC Pentwyn Isaf – It stands on high land, and its meaning is clear.
DM.
Pentwyn, ‘hilltop’. Isaf ‘lower’ is a distinguishing element.

DC Sychbant – Obvious
DM. Sych & pant, ‘dry hollow’. Also a stream name.

DC Troedrhiw – The farmhouse is at the bottom of the hill that leads from Pentwyn to Ynysfelin.
DM. Troed, rhiw – ‘foot (of the) hill’.

DC Abernant – “Aber” implies the pouring of one river or stream into another river or stream, or into the sea.
DM.
Abernant 1905 OS6”; 1830 OS; 1797 PR; 1768 Will of Joan John NLW; 1633 Tredegar (8) NLW;

Former farm located at the mouth of Nant Abernant and Taf Fawr, submerged under the Llwyn Onn Reservoir which opened in 1926. The stream valley was called Cwm Dyrys (1905 OS6”) ‘tangled, dense valley’ and the stream itself was known earlier as Nant Dyrys (Nant Duris Brook 1780 TD).
Aber, nant; ‘mouth (of the) stream’.

DC Ynysyfelin – Emanates from the old mill that was previously here.
DM.
Name of a hamlet in Cwmtaf. Ynys, y, melin; ‘the mill river-meadow’.

DC Penpound – “Pownd” is a corruption of pond. The pond that fed the old mill was at the bottom of the farmstead.
DM.
Pownd is also used for a pound to keep animals.

DC Penpont – It stands alongside the bridge that spans Afon Taf.
DM.
Penpont, ‘bridge end’.
.
DC Garwnant – The stream flows past the farmstead, descending over high cliffs on its journey to the Taf. Its bed is rough (garw).
DM.
Garwnant 1905 HPP 16;
Garnant 1841 Census UP;
Car-nant 1830 OS;
Carnant 1739 WP;
It is possible that the early Carnant was lenited to (y) Garnant and later ‘corrected’ to Garwnant. The stream name became the name of a number of smallholdings viz. Garnant Fach, Garnant Fawr. If Garwnant is the original name then it has a meaning of ‘rough, wild stream’, probably referring to the nature of its course.
Carnant contains two elements car and nant. Car occurs in a number of stream names viz. Nant Car, and can be translated as the ‘dear, kind stream’. Car also occurs in Rhydycar, but here it means ‘cart ford’.

DC Y Wern – “The Alder Grove”.

DC Bryn Prydydd – or “Bryn y pridd du”. (hill of the black soil).
DM.
Prydydd is a poet. Bryn Prydydd, ‘poet’s hill’.

DC Pentwyn Uchaf – Obvious.
DM.
Pen, twyn, ‘hill top’ with uchaf ‘higher’ as a distinguishing element.

DC Glanyrafon – The farmstead lies on the banks of the river Taf.
DM.
Glan, yr, afon, ‘the river bank’.

DC Pencoed – The remains of the farmstead stand above a forest.

DM. Pen, coed, ‘woods end’.

DC Pentre Celliau – The old folk would sometimes use Pentre for two or three houses; for example,
Pentretrysgoed, and Pentremaeshir &c. Here, at one time, were two or three cottages, and Harri Harri, the father of Harri from Garw Dyle, dwelt in one of them. “Celliau” – Cyll. Goidelic: “Caill”; English; “Hazel Grove”. It seems that there was an abundance of hazel trees here at one time.
DM.
Pentre Gelliau 1880, Gelliau 1814.
Pentre(f), ‘village, small settlement, sub farm’ and celliau, pl. of celli ‘groves’. Pentre Cellie/celliau would have been a sub farm of a larger Celliau or Gelliau farm.

DC Penyglogfanddu – “Pen” – the top part of a mountain or hill. “Clog” – cliff (the precipice); “fan” or ban (lofty); “du” an adjective that notes the substance of its environment.
DM.
Pen, clog, ban, du; ‘Top of the cliff (by the) black peak’.

DC Cenfaes – Cefn-y-maes. (Back of the field).
DM.
Cefn, maes; ‘mountain ridge of the plain/field’.

DC Penyrheol – The name stems naturally from the farmhouse location, near the road that leads from Cwmtaf to Penderyn.

DM. Pen, yr, heol; ‘end or top of the road’.

DC Pantygarw – Its meaning is obvious in the light of this spot’s rough and stony surface.
DM.
Pant, garw; ‘rough hollow’.

DC Pandy, Hirwaun – fulling house (fulling mill*), related to the old mill previously on the banks of the Cynon.

* The following verse relates to the above factory:
(Translation): “An ironworks started in Llwydcoed in May, Combing and spinning in “Rhydiau” some say,
And in the Trebanog, its very well known,
The miller and maid are the ugliest in town.”
The miller’s name was Rhys Hywel Rhys, 1811.

DC Coedcae’rfelin – The meaning of “Coedcae” has already been given. On this coedcae the Old Mill, Melin y Rhydiau stood; at one time it belonged to the “Morgans of Trebanog”, and after that, it was the property of Edward Watcyn Price of Torfoel (see Yr Elusenau[charities]).

Deric Meidrum 21/3/17